Tuesday, July 1, 2008
children's library
Candace's post about The Wind and The Willows got me thinking about classic children's literature and the books I loved to read when I was younger. I was an avid reader from the start and would spend hours pouring through books. I'd read them to myself, my sister, my mom... My sister used to beg me to read her a book about the Cabbage Patch Kids, I had a special voice for Itty Bitty, the baby in the book. She loved it. When I got a little older, before Seventeen magazine began to erode my book time, it was The BabySitters Club series and Nancy Drew. What were your favorite books as a child? What are your child's favorite books now?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
okay, first of all, let me preface that someday i would really like to hear the special voice of itty bitty =). until then, i can only imagine. i was a book reader like you bj. my faves were nancy drew (which i hope to pass down to ivana- have them packed away somewhere) and sweet valley twins, babysitter club and lots of christian fiction. classics when i was in high school.
kids faves currently:
goodnight moon (when they were babies to 2 years! made it a game to find the mouse)
toddler years- the napping house, where the wild things are, all madeline, all angelina ballerina, all beatrix potter (esp the tale of the 2 bad mice).
those ones are all timeless and we read over and over.
i'm beggining to see a theme here. i loved, loved nancy drew. i was really into sweet valley twins, the boxcar children, little house on the praire, all the newberry winners, (except the witch one, my mom wasn't a fan)and then the very naughty, hide from my mom, wes craven horror teen novels.
Curtis favs:
also loves goodnight moon; charlie the chick; hands, hands, fingers, thumb; and the foot book.
i totally spelled beginning wrong
I completely forgot about the Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High- NOSTALGIA!
The Boxcar Children! Hooray!
I went to like 4 different schools during my elementary years, and maybe that is why I didn't really get into reading too much! I do remember my 5th/6th grade teacher reading The Chronicles of Narnia series to us...a few times, I will always love those books. Others I remember are the Sweet Valley Twins, and the Christie books. My two faves from childhood that I loved, and that I now read to my girls: "The Diggingest Dog", "Where Is My Mother?" and many Dr. Suess classics.
Funny book- "There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom!" Other than that, I don't know that I read a whole lot. Kind of disappointing, but I hope to read lots with Kylie!
Love that you're blogging more BJ
Post a Comment